40 in 40: Lesson #34
40 in 40: #34
The big day is actually here.
My mom tells me that as of 3:30pm I’m officially 40. (I’ve missed a few posts here and there so I will be writing the last 6 over the next week or so).
I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about 40.
I’ve thought about: what I have accomplished, what I haven’t accomplished, who I have become, who I would like to become, who I have developed relationships with.
For whatever reason it has been a big deal to me.
It FEELS like I’m halfway done life on this side of eternity.
There’s some fear associated with turning 40, some joy, some feelings of maturity, some feelings of immaturity.
One idea has stuck with me for months as I’ve thought about today:
I want to stay thankful.
I have a tremendous amount to be thankful for:
- An incredible wife who loves me, and whom I love.
- Children that I LOVE being with and who enjoy being with me.
- A business partner that I like working with more than anyone I have EVER worked with.
- 4 parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles that make up a rich family that I’m surrounded by.
- Work that I am enthusiastic about. I wake up wanting to get to work in the morning.
- My Health: I’m more healthy than I have every been in my life: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally.
- Clients and staff: I get to work with terrific people at Blue Ocean Ideas.
- Jesus Christ: I still find Jesus to be the most compelling and inspiring person that I have ever encountered. Regardless of your religious affiliation I have never met ANYONE that has studied Jesus and not been inspired. (I’ve met plenty of people that are not so inspired by his followers; that’s another topic.)
- Deep and lasting friendships: I just had lunch with a friend that I’ve known for 20+ years. I can share anything with him. He’s not the only one either. I’m thankful for some great friends.
- I live in a great place: I LOVE Baltimore.
And here’s the thing: my life is FAR from perfect. I’ve got issues. I’ve got struggles. I have pain.
But when I stay thankful the imperfections, issues, struggles, and pain make sense. They are part of the process of maturing. They are the things that allow me to be thankful.
Take all that away and I’m just a man who takes it all for granted.
What are you thankful for today?
Stay thankful my friends,